Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Bullfighter Checks Her Rearview

I love it when you read something by a writer that strikes you right in your self-doubt's jugular.


From the introduction to Susan Orlean's The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup:

"The subjects I was drawn to were often completely ordinary, but I was confident that I could find something extraordinary in their ordinariness. I really believed that anything at all was worth writing about if you cared about it enough, and that the best and only necessary justification for writing any particular story was that I cared about it. The challenge was to write these stories in a way that got other people as interested in them as I was."
I'm going to print these up on little business cards and hand them out to people who ask me what I want to write.

Then I'm going to tell people what I really care about is soybean farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on this post. Or tell me your favorite movie. Or your favorite pez flavor. Maybe your analytical interpretation of "The Graduate." Anything goes, really.