Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gratitude

Let's just get this right out of the way. I'm thankful for being healthy, for being mentally sound, for being fed, clothed, watered, sheltered.

But there's a lot more to life, no?



...like chilled raspberry wine, cast iron skillets, lit fireplaces with firewood you gathered yourself.

The strange looks you got when you hefted logs up the stairs to your third floor apartment.


Dancing in your socks, coloring in your pajamas, impromptu swims with your clothing still on.



A new pair of boots, soft and suede.


Dark coffee. Seared scallops. Licking vanilla ice cream off a spoon.



Building a beach on the balcony.


Homemade margaritas.


Theatre that makes you cry.



Day trips. Weekend excursions. Seafood festivals with hot crab cakes.


Live blues. Red lipstick.


Throwing back shots with the dive bar regulars.


White flowers tucked behind a pretty girl's ear.




Ellipses, concrete nouns, hyphens, semicolons. 




Fosse and Sondheim.




A clicking typewriter. Mismatched socks.


Audrey Hepburn's eyelashes.


Jukeboxes.


Wild sea lions. My dog's head on my lap. Ginger Rogers.


Fondue parties, braised beef, Bailey's in my hot chocolate.


Someday having Carl Kasell's voice on my home answering machine.




The complete works of Dr. Suess.


Mo√ęt on the beach.


Pictures in brushed steel frames.


Family, friends, blog readers, people I've yet to know. 













Oh, yeah, and the Muppets.







(Your turn.)



13 comments:

  1. Best Thanksgiving list EVER! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. chubby little arms circling your neck for a sticky kiss.

    The quiet before mass

    a housefull of friends

    a long chat on the phone with my sister

    cyber-pals who take great photos, always leave hilarious comments and make me think.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, and you had some good ones!

    http://talkativetaurus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a peach, Nicki. A sassy, champagne infused peach.
    I'm from the South. I know these things.

    BEST. THANKSGIVING. LIST. EVER.

    I apologize for being, well, far and away the last several weeks... catching up on your latest posts on my much needed day off. :)

    My thankfuls:
    - Snoring doggies curled at your feet as you pound out research papers.
    - Making sandwiches that look better than the fancy restaurant ones.
    - Scoring THE perfect sweater at Goodwill.
    ... I think I'm stealing your idea. Yet again. Too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Playing in the rain, or dancing if that's your thing.

    Singing in the shower even though everyone can hear you. (Or making up poetry in the shower as my little sister does.)

    Raking up the leaves just to throw yourself in the pile. (And smelling them: it's awesome.)

    Hot, fresh, yummy chocolate pudding, and cookie dough, and cake batter you can eat chilled in a dessert glass.

    Dr. Pepper and Chai Lattes.

    Friends and family that love you (and pets that are family).

    Funny blogs that make you laugh.

    Loved your post. Hoorah for the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a list. I'd add my own, but I think you covered everything awesome already. I'm just so sad that muppets were last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thankful for life in general, there's way too much that I don't want to get into but I'm glad I survived.

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read my blog for my list. =)

    Also, I'm in love with your balcony-beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. I'm thankful I know who Carl Kassel is. I'd be thankful to be informed enough to crack jokes on that program.

    I'm posting my big thank you tomorrow. Until then, here's to fried turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. colouring in your pjs... i do that.. i also draw on my leg when im bored and sitting cross legged, whcih is weird but whatever.. my trousers cover the evidence

    I like your blog, its amusing.. awesome list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. coming home after months of not being in your own bed.

    I love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BFFs.

    DVD players.

    Free health care.

    Bailey's in my coffee.

    I also want to know who these IP addresses are that constantly refresh your blog, and why I don't have stalkers like that.

    (Actually, I might. I'm too lazy to check.)

    I'd be most thankful if you replied :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Raspberry wine sounds unbelievably delicious!
    "Dancing in your socks, coloring in your pajamas, impromptu swims with your clothing still on."

    Yes yes and yes. Love those things!

    ReplyDelete

Comment on this post. Or tell me your favorite movie. Or your favorite pez flavor. Maybe your analytical interpretation of "The Graduate." Anything goes, really.