Tuesday, October 25, 2011

baltimore blues

Longtime readers know I'm having a torrid affair with the city of Baltimore.

I have complicated relationships with the entire Eastern seaboard. NYC's the one that got away, my long-distance love. I'm downright married to Boston. Philadelphia's my skeevy older brother that I take for granted, and Pittsburgh's my hard-working, good-souled favorite uncle. But Baltimore? Baltimore's my one-night stand, my old flame, my I'll-regret-this-in-the-morning love affair.


I flew down to Baltimore on Friday for a wedding, and after months of hiking through the red bricks of Boston, my heart just doesn't flutter for Baltimore the way it used to. Though my heart now belongs to a world of Sam Adams and lobster rolls instead of cobblestones and crab cakes, I still carry a wide-eyed admiration for this screwed-up town.


I never leave Baltimore without a story. It's where I found hair fertilizer. It's home to some of the absolute craziest people I've ever met. It's dirty. It's mean. It's been kicked around, and it's got one of the best personalities of any city I know.  I woke up one morning and dyed my hair red in a Baltimore hotel-- it just seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I scrawl poems on Baltimore bar napkins. I spent the night in a Baltimore hotel bathtub with a washcloth pillow. Hell, The Loaded Handbag's header photo was taken in Baltimore.


Since it'll take me another eight months to get my pictures from the weekend trip edited, I figured it's high time to post pictures from my Baltimorean birthday weekend this past February. So let's all raise our crab cakes on high in a toast to the quirkiest town on the Eastern seaboard-- to Baltimore, you wily tattooed mynx, you.




(Impressionist) Ice on the Harbor




The Katyn Memorial





Yes. That's a TREE GROWING OUT OF A BUILDING.
No. It's not part of a Tim Burton set.

Yes. There is a metaphor at work here, y'all.

13 comments:

  1. Ah yes Baltimore...the place where I gallivanted around dressed as Black Mary Marvel.

    Good times...good times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't spent much time east of the Mississippi in my life. I shall have to change that. There's just too much color in that part of the world to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I propose a city swap! Boston is the one that got away for me. I still want to take up residence though. Loved the pictures. Especially the ice, Domino and tree ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm...Interesting. I've never actually been to Baltimore, or any farther east than Chicago, for that matter. However, it certainly sounds and looks like a place that just might be worth a visit, messed up as it apparently is.

    Love the photos, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tree grows in Baltimore... from a wall of an abandoned building. Awesome!

    B-more is fun, but then again I've never lived there. And Philly totally is a skeevy older brother!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have they finished that big road project in Boston? - I think the last time we were there was 1999 and apart from running into Prince at parties we always found ourselves on the wrong side of the big road project...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been in a place where I can walk barefoot. I mean, if I try it here, I would get my soles all bloody and sh#t.

    The pictures are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Baltimore! That's all I can associate it with, Hairspray lol. I would love to visit the east...SOMEDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only been once, but I am a HUGE John Waters fan, so. . .

    I loved this post

    ReplyDelete
  10. I WANT TO VISIT BALTIMOOOOOORE!!!

    Like, FUH REALS.

    Meet me there?

    And we can take photos?

    And drink lots?

    And walk barefoot not-sober this time?

    PS. East Coast lovin' REP-A-SENT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd kill for a crab cake.

    Is "Bag of El Douché" copyrighted? To hell with it, I'm a journalist. I'll use proper attribution when I use it. I MUST use it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I drove through Baltimore once. It didn't look anywhere near as gorgeous as your photos make it look. But what's a view from the freeway worth anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately, I'm a very typical Canadian who has only been to Vegas. I really would love to tour around and see more of the cities in the States. Maybe that's what my Husband and I will do in our retirement. Thanks for sharing the cool photos.

    ReplyDelete

Comment on this post. Or tell me your favorite movie. Or your favorite pez flavor. Maybe your analytical interpretation of "The Graduate." Anything goes, really.