Tuesday, February 12, 2013

in which nicki snaps herself out of it and realizes she is absolutely ridiculous and incredibly whiny; also, muppets.




Yesterday was one of Those Days.


You know Those Days. The 90-minute-commute days. The disabled-train-in-front-of-us days. The grate-your-knuckle-off-with-a-microplane days. The your key suddenly, randomly, and cruelly decides that it will refuse to open your front door the way it has six hundred times before, forcing you to trudge through 2 feet of snow all the way around the back of the house IN FLATS kind of day.

I stood sullenly in the kitchen, grating ginger so hard I shook the entire counter. I hated the snow. I hated the commute. I hated that I had to cook. I hated that it was already 8:00 and I hadn't finished dinner yet. I hated that I got up at 5:30 and would do so again tomorrow. I hated this week. I hated the impending move. I hated a lot of things. But mostly, I think, I hated that tomorrow would be my birthday, and I was spending it alone.


So childish, yes? A birthday is a day like any other day. Another year gone by. I'd celebrate later. Set my sights on a play in New York that's opening in March; figured we'd make a weekend out of it, eat our way through Manhattan. Derrick's on nights for the rest of the month, and we live in opposite schedules, passing like ships in the night: he's heading home just as I get to work; by the time I get home, his shift has just started. When it's done, there'll be plenty of time to celebrate. And again, it doesn't really matter. Just a day. Like any other.

After I grated my knuckle bloody I realized I was doing it all wrong. Like Walter says: Don't you remember? You guys are the Muppets! You do this to music! And it turns out Walter was right: a strong song on the radio was all I needed--though the strong drink in my hand didn't hurt, either. I pulled myself together. Snapped myself out of it. After all, I had a birthday bottle of champagne and a marbled ribeye in the fridge, didn't I? Who says I had to have someone else with me to celebrate?

So today, yes, today I'm going to stand on the train with strangers and spend my day in the office computer training, yes, but I'm also going to have a damn party. A me party, to reference the Muppets again (and let's face it, it wouldn't be a Nicki birthday without the Muppets). Because eating alone, drinking alone doesn't have to be sad. It can be joyous. It can be empowering. And it can be a little bit liberating. Especially if the thought of a frosted glass of bubbly is the thing pulling you through a cold, dripping, puddle-filled workday.


And doubly especially if you have plans for an champagne-filled after-work Muppet Show marathon. There will be pajamas. There will be fuzzy slippers. There will be many, many bad puns. And there ain't gonna be no one around to judge me for it.

17 comments:

  1. Celebrating alone?? NO YOU AREN'T!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARLING!! *toots party horn and throw confetti*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU DEAREST! *pops the champagne*

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! There's nothing wrong with celebrating alone, I think. And you can do it because you are Nicki!!!

    I think I'll drink tomorrow to celebrate your birthday with you. From across the world...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm down! INTERNATIONAL BIRTHDAY PARTY!

      Delete
  3. HPPY BIRTHDAY my friend! Alone is not an option.

    Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you,

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAREST, FUNNIEST, AWESOME-EST, FOODIE NICKI.....

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY... TOOOOOOOO YOUUUUUU!

    To clarify, is the birthday the 12th or the 13th. Because if it's the 13th, that's my mom's birthday as well. I'll pour a glass for you either way. Double celebrations are totally in season. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's today -- the same day as Kat's mom's birthday! My blog-friends have excellent taste in mother's birthdays.

      I don't know what that means. Just go with it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, damn, I mean it was YESTERDAY. Today as in "the day I posted this." The 12th. I'm going to stop now.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! Celebrating with the Muppets is a wonderful way to go. Enjoy that steak and the bubbly and rock your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how horrible. I would hate a 90-minute commute. But Happy Birthday! *throws confetti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thankfully, it's not usually 90 minutes. Just the first day after a blizzard. Or if there's a disabled train. Or a power outage. Or someone looks at the subway in the wrong way. So basically, every day.

      Delete
  6. Nicki you deserve all the happiest of birthday wishes and wonderful things. A "Me Party" is exactly what I asked for last year... I asked John to let me quietly slip away (mostly metaphorically but a little physically, too) and do whatever I gosh darned felt like doing. I slept late, ate my favorite foods with minimal guilt, started drinking my favorite red wine at 2 in the afternoon, took a nap, watched trash TV, left my phone off all day, and snuggled endlessly with my pups. It. was. AWESOME. So, Nicki-bockers, this one's for you: http://childishchildishgambino.tumblr.com/post/10656601588/happy-28th-birthday-donald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE THAT LINK SO MUCH IT BURNS IT BURNS

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday, you ridiculously awesome person, you!

    I've had those days. A good song and some chocolate usually pulls me out of the grumps, though. Have fun tonight. You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even drink and I somehow find myself with glass of wine in hand, ready to toast the lovely and talented Nicki (Dad left me a bottle, after his last visit) ME day sounds awesome. I'm a little late huh? Did you enjoy your ME day? My Birthday's coming up, that's my excuse for still having the wine in my hand now that I've realised I'm late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope you had a muppetful birthday girl!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Comment on this post. Or tell me your favorite movie. Or your favorite pez flavor. Maybe your analytical interpretation of "The Graduate." Anything goes, really.